The historic Kiersted House at 119 Main Street in the Village of Saugerties is the Historical Society's headquarters, and a popular tourist spot. The Kiersted House is architecturally significant as an exceptional example of early eighteenth and nineteenth century local building craft and practices. The original builder is unknown, but the first recorded owner of the homestead was Hiskia Dubois in 1724. It was purchased by Dr. Christopher Kiersted in 1773. The farm at that time extended on both sides of the present Main Street in Saugerties.
The rubble stone building appears to have been built in four sections. The old kitchen wing may date from 1724, and was probably used as the original residence while the main section of the house was being built in 1727. The main section of the house had a jambless Dutch fireplace on the north wall. The original roof of this wing was rotated 90 degrees from the present design. In about 1800, the dwelling was expanded with the addition of a stone parlor wing, the hall and present front door, and the joining of former outbuilding to the main house. The back porch, and present roof design are thought to have been part of the last expansion in the early 1900s. The Kiersted House retains much of its interior composition. This includes the wide wood plank floors; the box stairs; the Georgian mantels molding and cabinetry; much original iron hardware; and even many eighteenth century glass windowpanes, some bearing inscriptions.
In 1998, the Kiersted House was placed on both New York State and the National Register of Historic Places. As the museum of the Saugerties Historical Society, the beautifully landscaped 1 ¼-acre property, complete with centuries old black locust trees, is the site of many events, including exhibits, History Day, Colonial Reenactments, and community lawn concerts.
Due to the generosity of the Northeast Solite Corporation, the frame for an authentic Dutch barn from the early 1700s has been donated to the Historic Society. The Society will be repairing the barn frame and re-erecting it over the next two years. We will also be hosting an old-fashioned barn raising to re-erect the frame. Watch for our fund-raising events. The barn will enable the society to expand its offerings to allow larger indoor events and exhibits as well as promoting activities for our youth. We are dedicated to inspiring our youth to continue to promote the rich history of our community.
Hours of Operation:
Open 11 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturdays and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays, from May 30th through October 11th.
By appointment at other times. Changing displays are featured within the elegant house.
Call 845-246-9529 for further information and a schedule of events.