Lions Club International began as the dream of Chicago insurance man Melvin Jones. He believed that local business clubs should expand their horizons from purely professional concerns to the betterment of their communities and the world at large.
Jones organized a meeting of business groups from around the country and on June 7, 1917, the group met and declared themselves the “Association of Lions Clubs”. The group has since developed into an international organization with nearly 1.4 million members in 189 countries worldwide.
The Lions club motto is “We Serve” and this motto was challenged in 1925 by Helen Keller who asked the Lions to become “knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness”. Since that time sight preservation has been the priority of the Lions Club. The Lions, however, support their communities in any way they can.
The Saugerties Lions club is the oldest service organization in Saugerties. The club was chartered in 1932 and has been serving Saugerties ever since through fund raising activities such as annual Auctions, Golf Tournaments, Casino Bowling, Baskets of Cheer and an occasional Las Vegas Night.
The proceeds from these events are used to support and upkeep the Frank Greco Lions Playground and wading pool on Washington Avenue, provide $4000 annually in college scholarships, fund vision and hearing services for those otherwise unable to afford them, hold an annual Easter Egg hunt for local children, donate to many local children’s sports teams, contribute to The Saugerties Council of Churches Christmas Toy Store and numerous emergency situations.
The Lions are always looking for likeminded individuals to help with community service. If you are interested in joining, call one of the numbers above.
Gisiano’s Restaurant, Glasco, NY, the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month at 6:30 PM